A journey back in time would show you that this six-acre campground has come a long way since initially opening in the 1950s. Over the years, the ownership and the name have changed. Then, in 2012, the campground closed.
In July 2017, a full-time RVer and Gering native, Sue Maiwald, was in the area visiting family and friends. Wanting to establish a new home base, she checked out the old, run-down RV park and saw it had great potential for bringing visitors to this beautiful and historic area.
Sue envisioned revitalizing it as a year-round RV park just west of Scottsbluff with quick and easy access from Highway 26’s frontage road.
- A true country camping experience with mature trees and grasses.
- Level sites with professionally installed crushed concrete.
- Extra wide pull-thru sites to accommodate newer, larger RVs.
- A new well-water distribution system with excellent pressure
- New electric wiring and pedestals with 20/30/50 amp service
- A fenced, grassy pet playground for pets to play off-leash.
- Open areas for families to gather and kids to run
- Close to town for shopping
- Magnificent views of the bluff
- A short distance from many of the area’s historic attractions
- And the perfect place to watch a family of Osprey in their nest across the street
Captain Critters Country Campground opened in November 2017. Since then, we have been welcoming guests and making continuous improvements
We hope you can stay with us while visiting Scottsbluff or just passing through. You are always welcome at Captain Critters Country Campground!